Since air Pollution is reaching alarming levels (its in hazardous category) we should try to reduce our exposure and increase protection to avoid ill effects of Air Pollution.
Following are the ways to reduce your Exposure:
1. Suspend all your outdoor activities in early morning hours like running, jogging, cycling, gym and other sports. It is better to avoid all of the above from November to January, also you can check AQI at Sameer app and if It’s shows values lower than 300, than you can resume light activities and if it’s less than 200 healthy population can do all activities.
YOGA and other activities can be shifted to evening hours.
GYMs without any treatment or air purification system are more dangerous.
2. Don’t send your kids (less than 7 year old) to school if AQI is higher than 350; ask School to suspend all outdoor movement and only allow kids to move out in afternoon hours
3. Do not use aggarbatti for these 3 months better to use ghee lamp
4. Do not sweep/mop in morning hours, it will re-suspend all settled particles in air, so better to use wet mopping that too with warm water and add a pinch of baking soda in it.
5. Walking directly on main road will lead to higher exposure so better walk on side lanes/footpaths
6. Avoid burning anything in open or if someone is doing please raise an alarm or inform CPCB on their website
How to increase protection:
1. While riding bike or walking outdoor wear a good quality of N95/99 mask (Venus/3M masks) are really good; atleast use handkerchief it also protect to some extent
2. First thing when you start your car is to open your windows and recirculate indoor air to outdoor air for two minutes; it will help in dilution CO concentrations. CO is more dangerous and can cause fatal consequences. Also run your car ac for some time in indoor circulation. Every car has ac Filters which reduce PM 2.5 substantially.
3. If possible use air Purifier in home (only with Hepa, carbon & pre Filter) ; specially in kids room, old age, sensitive population (who have respiratory problems) and pregnant ladies.
4. Ventilate your house between 3 to 5 PM everyday; this is the best time during day where PM2.5 levels are lowest on a bright sunny day
5. Sprinkle water in your premises /on road to settle down the pollutants
Some other measures to help you fight air pollution:
1. Increase intake of vitamin C, vitamin E and beta carotene; it will help in increasing immunity
2. Eat jaggery/gud to flush out pollutants from lungs; simple replace your processes sugar with jaggery in all your preparation or consume jaggery as it is.
“Issues in Public interest”